Casa Los Cerros HomeOwners Tempe, AZ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vegetable Fruit Gardens Trees

2 posters

Go down

Vegetable Fruit Gardens Trees Empty Vegetable Fruit Gardens Trees

Post  DukeRule Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:51 pm

Some complexes offer small plots for tenants to plant vegetables. If we do not want to have garden plots, could we at least offer some large containers for container gardens? These could be built and placed along the back walls where there is a lot of sun. Or, would the pool area be better since it is nearer water?

Maybe we could have a class offered on this at the meeting hall?

Why would we not plant fruit trees instead of other trees? I don't know anything about this, I am not from Arizona. Cerros means citrus, I think. It would be very appropriate to plant fruit trees and harvest them to enjoy the fruits.

Could there be a poll to see if we have interest in some plantings of gardens, fruit, vegetable, flower, organic or inorganic?

Thank you. I would like to meet other gardeners here. It would be interesting to learn what would grow in the desert and to eat healthy, organically grown food. Perhaps we attend garden walks to become educated?

DukeRule

Back to top Go down

Vegetable Fruit Gardens Trees Empty I would love fresh veggies!

Post  Bree215 Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:50 pm

Tomatoes and cucumbers were plants that my grandfather easily grew in his backyard garden. I think the idea of a growing area is great, but we would need clear responsibility (and accountability) to ensure they do not die and end up becoming an eyesore as opposed to a source of fresh produce.

Cerros means "hills", so hills house on hills street. Smile cute, huh?

I love the smell of fresh citrus trees, lemons, limes, and grapefruits, ideally. Or even oranges. Any greenthumbs know about the plausibility of these endeavors?
Bree215
Bree215

Back to top Go down

Vegetable Fruit Gardens Trees Empty Thoughts on community garden and citrus tree planting

Post  BevLR Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:28 pm

It is a little ironic that there should be discussion regarding the planting of citrus trees, as Baseline Road used to have citrus orchards and commercial flower gardens on the North side of the street from the I-10 all the way to the Avenues that were torn out by the builders of the various subdivisions. I really like this idea, but they will be more expensive. I really hope that we don't see any more Olive trees planted as so many people suffer from allergies and Olive trees are one of the worst allergy triggers. sunny

As far as a community garden, its a little more difficult. My sister in England rents a small plot in a community garden close to her house. The whole community garden is completely fenced and only those renting the plots have keys to the gate. This prevents vandalism and theft of the produce, ensuring that only those who actually do the work of planting, fertilizing, watering (lugging buckets to the plot) and maintenance get to reap the rewards. On our grounds this fencing would be a bit unsightly and I can't think of a practical answer unless we planted fast growing Oleanders to shield the fence from view. santa

BevLR

Back to top Go down

Vegetable Fruit Gardens Trees Empty Re: Vegetable Fruit Gardens Trees

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum